Take Control of Your Health and Embrace Real Food
If you are at all concerned about your health, whether you want to improve it or maintain it, then nutrition is paramount. In fact, diet accounts for about 80% of the health benefits reaped by adopting a healthy lifestyle with the other 20% from exercise.
A healthy diet is based on fresh, unprocessed, organic, whole foods. These are the signs of high quality, health promoting foods that you will want to look for when grocery shopping. If the food meets these criteria, it is most likely a wise choice.
- It is grown without pesticides and chemical fertilizers
- It is not genetically engineered
- It contains no added growth hormones, antibiotics, drugs
- It does not contain any artificial ingredients including chemical preservatives
- It is fresh
- It did not come from a concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO)
- It is grown with the laws of nature in mind (animals are fed their native diets, not a mix of grains and animal byproducts, and have free range access to the outdoors)
- It is grown in a sustainable way ( using minimal amounts of water, protecting the soil from burnout, and turning animal wastes into natural fertilizers instead of environmental pollutants)
Why are minerals and nutrients important for oral health?
You must include minerals and nutrients in your diet in order for the body’s
tissues to resist infection. The presence of too much or too little of any nutrient can have harmful effects, particularly on the mouth and teeth, and may contribute to oral diseases and infection.
There are many minerals and nutrients that are good for the entire body. Here are just some of the minerals and nutrients your body needs to stay healthy:
- Calcium. Your teeth and jaws are made mostly of calcium. Without enough calcium in your diet, you risk developing gum disease and tooth decay. Calcium is found in many foods and liquids, such as milk, yogurt, cheese, beans, and oysters, and broccoli.
- Iron. Iron deficiency can cause your tongue to become inflamed, and sores can form inside your mouth. Iron is found in many foods, including liver seafood,poultry and red meat. Other iron-rich foods include green leafy vegetables, nuts and spices.
- Vitamin B3 (niacin). A lack of vitamin B3 can cause bad breath and canker sores in the mouth. To boost your B3 levels, eat chicken and tuna, turkey and crimini mushrooms.
- Vitamins B12 and B2 (riboflavin). You also can develop mouth sores when you do not consume enough of the vitamins B12 and B2. Red meat, chicken, liver, pork, fish, as well as dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese, are good sources of vitamin B12. Vitamin B2 is found in foods like soybeans, spinach, beet greens, almonds, yogurt, eggs, and asparagus.
- Vitamin C. Too little vitamin C will lead to bleeding gums and loose teeth. Sweet potatoes, raw red peppers, leafy greens, brussel sprouts, papayas and oranges are great sources of vitamin C.
- Vitamin D. It is very important to consume enough vitamin D because it helps your body absorb calcium. A diet lacking or low in vitamin D will cause burning mouth syndrome. Symptoms of this condition include a burning mouth sensation, a metallic or bitter taste in the mouth, and dry mouth. Drink organic milk, and eat egg yolks and fatty fish or salmon to increase your vitamin D intake.
Not all foods are good for your teeth. If you consume these foods, do so in moderation, and be sure to practice good oral health care.
- Bacteria feed on leftover foods in the mouth and produce acid, which causes decay. Carbohydrate-laden foods, such as chips, bread, pasta, or crackers, can be as harmful to the teeth as candy.
- Sticky, chewy foods. Raisins, granola bars, jelly beans, caramel, honey, and syrup stick to teeth and make it difficult for saliva to wash the sugar away.
- Sugary snacks. Snacks like cookies, cakes, or other desserts contain a high amount of sugar, which can cause tooth decay.
- Gum and candy. Chewing gum and eating candy is very harmful to your teeth. As you eat, sugar coats your teeth, which can lead to cavities.
- Carbonated soft drinks. Regular soda contains an extremely high amount of sugar. Both regular and diet sodas also contain phosphorous and carbonation, which wears away the enamel on your teeth (causing them to become stained and brown).
- Fruit or vegetable juices. Fruit and vegetable juices tend to be high in sugar, which can damage tooth enamel and lead to decay.