Mercury is a highly toxic substance, and yet many people continue to receive new mercury-amalgam fillings or go throughout their daily lives not realizing that this heavy metal is slowly accumulating in various organs.
We have already talked about how your silver fillings may be poisoning you and the environment, but now we want to take a closer look what you can actually do about it.
Why Would They Use Mercury in The First Place?
According to the FDA:
“Approximately half of a dental amalgam filling is liquid mercury and the other half is a powdered alloy of silver, tin, and copper. Mercury is used to bind the alloy particles together into a strong, durable, and solid filling. Mercury’s unique properties (it is a liquid at room temperature and that bonds well with the alloy powder) make it an important component of dental amalgam that contributes to its durability.”
In other words, mercury became the go-to metal for fillings because it was affordable while still providing some important characteristics, like pliability and durability. It also hardens very quickly and can stand up biting and chewing that happens every day.
Proper and Safe Removal
Just grinding away at your old fillings can, indeed, create a mercury vapor and potentially cause harm by getting into your respiratory or digestive system.
That’s why we follow the best protocols for minimizing your risk of exposure and take the necessary steps to keep you safe. Our removal process works like this:
- Rather than grinding the mercury, we slice and cut the amalgam into pieces an then remove them individually.
- We keep a steady flow of water and suction on the work surface.
- A rubber dam may be used to prevent debris from going back into your throat.
- A saliva ejector behind the dam can even prevent the accumulation of mercury vapor behind it.
- We will cover your skin and face so the mercury won’t settle in your eyes or on your skin.
- We can even provide supplemental air to make sure you’re not breathing in the vapor.
Will You Notice a Difference?
Of course, every case is different, but there have been studies performed on patients who have had their mercury amalgam fillings removed to see how they reacted to a mercury-free mouth.
While the study made it clear that it did not yet have all the answers, nor could it explain all the mechanisms behind the results, it did note some important changes after the removal of the mercury fillings.
The first notable change was a significant reduction in subjective health complaints. They surveyed these patients at certain intervals after removal, and they saw a decrease in complaints about their health situation.
But that’s subjective, you might say. So let’s really look at whether the removal of amalgam fillings really reduced the level of mercury accumulating in your body.
After all, the FDA says that the amount of mercury building up from your fillings is negligible.
Well, in this study, they took urine and blood samples before removing the fillings and three years later at the end of the test. Those results showed that, after removal, the mean serum concentration was reduced to half of what it was pre-treatment, and the concentration in urine was reduced to one forth.
So yes, removing toxic metals from your teeth will give the rest of your body a chance to clean some of those unwanted materials out.
Get in touch with us right away and we’ll help you understand everything you need to know about mercury filling removal.